Nov 16, 2007

Chip and PIN crash hits Carphone

Carphone Warehouse Chip and PIN system crashed on Friday's iPhone launch night. The problem occurred because sales of the iPhone caused an overload to the system, according to a Carphone spokeswoman. 'It lasted hardly anytime at all and it was resolved really quickly,' she said.

Some customers said they faced a delay of up to 20 minutes for processing transactions. There were also several reports on blogs of Carphone staff aggressively pushing insurance with the iPhone.

Among the sites citing hard selling of insurance was the official Apple forum. One visitor said: '"I strongly advise”, “You really should think about it”, “I must caution you”; all these phrases had been used at CPW. It was like being interviewed by the police!'

Another posted added: 'They wouldn't let me leave without going for the insurance, which is illegal. I'm going to cancel tomorrow by phone, but I let O2 know today who apologised and gave me £100.'

A Carphone spokeswoman said the company had not received any complaints and they offer insurance with all contract handsets.
Link